Friday, May 21, 2010

Bedtime stories

siani i tan ni leh mai hehe ciartu neih ve chhun hehe kei lanu riang hi! just put my niece n nephew 2 sleep. They had a hard time falling asleep and when all the soothing and then the threats did not work, an idea or rather a challenge came to me. I remembered how engrossed i used to be with my late grandma's bedtime stories as a kid and i figured "What the heck! better to be prepared early 4 my grandkids anyway". So, i went through the translated versions of Mizo folktales fr. MizowritinginEnglish and related the story of Rairahtea. Kudos to U Zualtei for the brilliant translation. Re-rendering it into Mizo is strenuous though. However, despite my pitiful struggle to deliver the right tenor, the kids apparently accepted it as a pitiable attempt and showed interest. They soon became hooked to the story, bad as i was, and soon fell asleep much to my relief!Whew!It's gonna be tough looking after kids. But the story's opium effect now boosts my confidence in terms of family planning. I "hope" to tell more tales to my own children, if ever i have them. Pssst: u better read some too cos ya know...u never know when youre gonna have kids or maybe you do already..either way i strongly recommend feeding young Mizo kids with our own bedtime stories than cinderella and her peers or maybe we can relate both n they can compare and contrast or even if they dont maybe we can, in the process of the storytelling or whatever....Just Tell All!Knowledge is bliss!

5 comments:

  1. Am gonna tell em my own versions and my own made-up stories...ngaihnawm an ti ngot ang, ui, im gonna be such a good mum...
    Sang very old songs last night and I overslept and my mom's pissed with me, huis..nangmah vang vek.
    Rule of blogging- comment unto others if you a want others to comment unto you :D
    Veteran speaks againnn!!! A tirah keipoh mi zonnnggg zong blogah ka comment..ngaihtuah let hian zahthlak zok, an ron comment vek lem bik hleilo a, hehe...FB account siamve toh teh..duhleh keimah ciah i fren dawn nia, if you dont want a lot of buaithlaks

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe k comment ve nial nual da prob is k tlak duah thiam lo va soi vk tr k se lo anywy tian nuam xk lm peace and quiet hehe fb cu nia k t dn mi k tia bt ho k t th riau a eng vk han th tr k selo kei ex-veteran hi k retire th hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. comment moderation hi ninwaaammm..mahse paihbo chuang suh... ruah thimpui a sur dawn e.. if it stops rainin, might come over 2day

    ReplyDelete
  4. modereson?whaaat?letters in the box and ol types???ui me is so pitying meself so badness in this yaar come come lets enzoy da ren trugedar

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of "passing on" the stories to the children..i think it is a great way to "hold on" to our past..even a wee bit of it :)

    ReplyDelete