Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dress Code in Mizo Society

This is a topic I have always refrained myself from discussing because I have always regarded it as a trivial issue but here I am, finally bringing it into my realm of significances. Dress code. Im puzzled by the term itself. Why use certain codes for covering your mediocre homosapien form? : ))) I mean, isn’t it anyone’s right to adorn themselves the way they like, as long as they are ok with it? However, the flipside is that the standards of society that compel you to show less skin also save you from derision because your fellow citizens conform to the same societal norms you follow and therefore, you are less likely to be charged with acts of unshameful behavior if you observe the dress code of the society. I, myself, would never be seen in bikinis or any revealing clothes in public and at this stage, I feel I would demean myself if I do not dress appropriately to work. Plus, I have never been interested in outrageous prettification. But if there are some who are not embarrassed about showing a huge percentage of their skin, what would the rest of the masses do about these people? Humiliate them in public by catcalling? Devalue them by sneering at them? Show contempt towards these free-spirited people because we have more clothes on than them? And if we do scorn them, can it be because we are jealous that they have the guts and we don’t? Its only a wild speculation.

I have no answers to these questions. Sometimes, I would wonder if infringing societal dress code does harm to anyone, or does it harm the violator himself/herself? If so, then can we not say it’s a conscious choice they make and the consequences are rightly theirs for keeps? Or should we play the Good Samaritan and moral police everyone? I do not want to judge others as much as I would like no one to judge me, so, I am at a junction here and I am lost.

5 comments:

  1. thats why i wear whatever i darn want...provided my family are ok with it lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe more like you wear whatever your family "darn want". Personally, I dont want to scrutinize people,especially on the outside and as such, I have a neutral feeling towards wearing "whatever I darn want". lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. leggings chu ha tawh laaa :D
    For those brave enough to face the consequences of how they choose to project themselves,I say "go for it". As for the rest of us who adhere to the 'acceptable societal norms',I still say "Go for it" :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think at the end of the day whatever you choose to wear you have to ask yourself if u can pull it off,,,thats why you'll never see me wear emo clothing lol...when all is said and done the good ol fashioned jeans with either shirt or t-shirt can never be beaten,at least for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's okay for anyone to wear what they want - as long as other people are okay with it hahha Kidding. I'll admit sometimes it's annoying to see someone consistently overdressing or even under dressing, but it doesn't make it right to criticize just because we don't like it. As long as they can afford the shirts on their backs, it's fine. In Mizoram, the biggest problem is that we consistently try to dress in clothing not appropriate to our financial means.

    ReplyDelete